Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Outlook, IMAP, Gmail problems and slowness - a solution ?

The ongoing saga of Outlook and IMAP has, in the past, given me nightmares. Slow connections, getting headers but waiting sometimes hours for the full messages to download.

I thought I'd solved everything until recently I moved to a Gmail mail server and everything started again. Well I checked and I'm neither imagining it or the only one experiencing it.

Well, I found some information that helped and I thought I'd share it. Apparently most of the problems are due to Outlook's default settings which constantly trying to poll the Gmail server. By customising the settings, you can make a big difference.

Here is a helpful link:
http://digital-boom.blogspot.com/2008/07/microsoft-outlook-running-slow-with.html

1 comment:

Alex said...

When I exported my data from MS Outlook to Exchange,it was damaged.But first of all I found the decision of the problem-microsoft outlook fix.This software I found in google,utility is free as far as I remember.Besides that program can eke saving the output data either as a single .pst file or as a set of .eml, .vcf and .txt files.